Saturday, October 16, 2010

Day After Day 35

I can't exactly call it day 36 since it is not officially a working day.  It is however, the first opportunity I have had to post what is happening in our home.

This week started badly.  On Monday I had to call the kitchen company and ask them to delay the installation until Tuesday because in my opinion the kitchen was not ready. The tiler and the electrician were meant to have worked last Saturday but nobody pitched so Monday came around and the kitchen tiles were not grouted and the electrical issues were not dealt with.  It was also pouring with rain and I could only imagine that it was going to be chaos if the kitchen company arrived and needed to start building units inside while the tiler was finishing off the tiling and grouting.  The plumber was also meant to arrive to install the Geberit system. 

On Tuesday the kitchen company arrived on schedule and started to assemble our kitchen.  Now, this was the part I was looking forward to the most ...  seeing it all start coming together, at last.  It is far from finished but I love it already.  Final measurements were taken for the Hanstone tops and hopefully they will be installed within 2 weeks.  


I like the addition of those top cupboards above the fridge and sink.  Now if I could just convince Mr. Money Bags that we really need a sleek new stainless steel fridge and dishwasher!


There was a small hiccup in the kitchen which I only noticed on Wednesday when the cabinets started getting fixed. The short "island" was extending into the dining area a lot more than before and while this made the kitchen bigger it stole place from the dining area.  Luckily the kitchen company and the installer were both very accommodating and together they made a plan.  The drawers next to the oven have all been sent back to the factory to be made smaller (luckily they were longer than standard) and the "island" depth has been adapted.  The counter tops were not effected as the final measurements were only done on Thursday so they will be cut accordingly. Be warned, this could have been a potential disaster (for me anyway).  When you sign your contract with the kitchen company check the floor plan diagram very carefully.  I only looked at the design drawings (see below) and never thought to check measurements.


I was so caught up in finialising the finishes and position of drawers, etc and it never occured to me to scrutinize the detailed plan.  Normally, I go over evry little detail with a fine combed tooth but ...  It was a easy mistake to have made.  

Other elements of the renovation have been less than rewarding this week.  The plumber never arrived on Monday, or Tuesday and by Wednesday we were feeling a little frustrated.  After a conversation with the builder another plumber was appointed and work in the bathroom is also underway.  Just as well since I have big plans for that small room.  More about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment